A reliable garage door can ensure you have access to your garage whenever you need it. Regular maintenance can increase your garage door’s reliability, extend its life and give you valuable peace of mind.
Understanding the most common garage door problems and what you can do about them can help you keep your garage doors functioning soundly.
Problems That Occur With Garage Doors
Common garage door issues include:
- The garage door won’t open: If you activate your garage door opener and nothing happens, first check to make sure the opener itself is working and has functional batteries for the remote. Also, double-check to make sure your garage door is unlocked. If the garage door opener is fine, the issue could be a broken spring. Springs balance and lift your garage door, and they can last up to 10,000 to 20,000 cycles. At the end of their life, a professional can safely replace them.
- The garage door gets stuck: It may be a sensor issue if your garage door partially opens or closes before getting stuck. Make sure the sensor lens on your garage door is clean. If it’s not the sensor, it could be a problem with the track, springs or the door’s balance, which will require a service call from a technician.
- Your garage door slams shut: If a garage door is slamming shut, a spring may have snapped, meaning there is nothing gently lowering your garage door. You will want to contact a service professional immediately for garage door spring repair or replacement to safeguard your door’s structure and fix the problem.
- Your garage door starts making strange sounds: A popping sound when you open or close your garage door could indicate that your rollers are worn down and may need replacement. Squeaking can be caused by worn rollers or poor lubrication on the rollers or bearings.
- The garage door starts to close and then goes back up: This common garage door issue may be caused by a problem with the sensor. In some cases, there may be debris on the sensor lens or track causing the issue. Check if the sensor lens is loose or damaged and wipe down the tracks to see if that fixes the problem.
Preventing the Most Common Garage Door Issues
Regular maintenance can prevent some garage door problems. By properly lubricating your garage doors and having a professional regularly inspect and service them, you can catch small problems before they cause a performance issue. Consistent, professional maintenance every two years can help prevent breakdowns.
Contact Consolidated Garage Doors
If you’ve run into garage door problems that require maintenance or service, contact the technicians at Consolidated Garage Doors. Our team delivers SOLID SERVICE, SOLID SALES and SOLID PRODUCTS to St. Charles, Batavia, Geneva and the surrounding communities in Illinois. Our family-run business has been offering garage door services, installations, maintenance and repairs for more than 42 years.
Request service today to have our team come out to diagnose and address your garage door problem.