Winter weather in Illinois can be tough on many aspects of your property, including your garage doors. Ice, snow, blowing winds and cold temperatures can directly impact the outer surface of your garage door and cause hardware to shrink. Springs are also more likely to break in winter. Knowing how to prepare your garage door for winter can minimize its damage and extend your garage door’s life.
Prepare Your Garage Door for Winter
Preparing a garage door for winter takes just a few steps:
- Do a quick inspection: Open and close your garage door a few times, listening for any strange sounds. Check to make sure the door opens and closes smoothly with an even, consistent motion. If you notice any problems, get them fixed before winter.
- Check the seal and weatherstripping: Stand inside your garage with the door closed on a sunny day. If you can see any light coming in around the edges or if your weatherstripping has any cracks, warping or crumbling, get it replaced. Any gaps around your garage door that let in light can also let in cold and snow, which can cause further damage to the inside of your garage door and make your garage less energy-efficient.
- Lubricate: Check your garage door owner’s manual to determine which type of lubricant is safe to use on your installation. Apply a few drops of the recommended oil to hinges, springs, bearings and other moving parts. Correctly lubricating your door can protect its active components.
- Ensure your garage door is properly insulated: Your garage door is your first line of defense against Illinois winters. A properly insulated garage door can protect items stored in your garage, safeguard any interior water pipes and save you money on energy bills.
- Organize your garage: Get rid of extra items and clean the space inside your garage. Make sure you pull out shovels and road salt and place them somewhere accessible. If large snowdrifts block your garage door, you will want to be able to remove them quickly before the weight causes severe damage.
- Get preventive maintenance: If it has been more than two years since your last upkeep appointment, contact the team at Consolidated Garage Doors for maintenance. The technicians on our team can perform a thorough inspection and any necessary repairs to ensure your garage door is ready for winter.
Contact Consolidated Garage Doors to Prepare for Winter
Winter prep for your garage door starts with Consolidated Garage Doors. If you notice your garage door is showing signs of wear, have it fixed before the harsh winter months. Contact Consolidated Garage Doors for repairs before the snow comes, or schedule seasonal maintenance to make winter a little easier on your garage doors.
For more than 42 years, Consolidated Garage Doors has helped customers in St. Charles, Batavia and other nearby areas of Illinois get the most from their garage doors with SOLID SERVICE, SOLID SALES and SOLID PRODUCTS. When you need reliable garage door repair and maintenance, contact us for service.